Thursday, February 27, 2014

Com12: Business Communications. Week 11: Intercultural and cross cultural communications

During the early 1990s I worked for the NSW Police Service. My role as General Support Officer was to answer the phone, take messages, record incidents, and greet people as they entered the police station. This position, based in the inner west of Sydney, was my first introduction to people from different cultures. Sometimes new Australian's would call the local police station for an emergency, rather than Triple 0 meaning that if I was working at that particular time, it was me who answered their urgent and often distressed phone call.


I remember a particular incident where an Asian woman called to report she had just witnessed a robbery. Fortunately she had noted down the registration plate of the car which was seen leaving the scene. I asked her to describe the car, it's occupants and also to read me the registration plate. Over the telephone there is often noise, interference and distortion so I mis-heard the letters she was reading me. I can't quite recall what the rego plate was, but I mis-heard a T for a P. So in this case the message was decoded incorrectly, and the officers sent to track this car - were looking for an incorrect rego plate.

Nowadays the Police Service offers thorough training to their public servants including learning the phonetic alphabet to prevent accidents like this.

Michelle.
Teacher Resource Page: Western Australia Police (n.d.) Retrieved from: http://www.police.wa.gov.au/YoungPeoplesZone/Teacherresourcepage/tabid/1842/Default.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment