Thursday, February 27, 2014

Com12: Business Communications. Week 8: Audience Analysis

My written document was a procedures manual for a denture clinic. When I began working at the denture clinic, it was a small practice with only the Dental Prosthetist, his wife who came in once a week to do the payroll, and myself as Administration/Accounts/Receptionist. There was no procedures manual and training was conducted on the fly as things were needed.
As the clinic began to grow and more staff were appointed, I felt it in the best interest of the clinic to devise a procedures manual in the case of my termination, or possible accident resulting in my not being available. The receiver of any document wants to understand what should happen, why it should happen and how to make it happen (Dwyer, 2013). I used screenshots of our database, other software and visual examples of how tasks were performed, why they were performed and how often they were performed. The manual was easy to read – simple enough for anyone walking in off the street to take over my role if necessary.

Michelle

Dwyer J 2013, Communication for Business and the Professions, Strategies and Skills edn 5 Pearson Education Australia Chapter 19 Writing for the professions, pg 454.

No comments:

Post a Comment